Thursday, July 7, 2011

First Day of Recovery

It's official..... Bacci is suffering from a muscle strain. It appears that it's the iliopsoas muscle, and possibly on both back legs. The left leg is the one that has been causing issues. Went to see the vet and physical therapist today. He's on meds and complete rest for the next 10 days or so. Only short leash walks throughout the day. If he's still in discomfort/pain when we go for our next visit, he'll need more time off with complete rest. If it appears that the majority of the pain has gone away, we'll begin his rehab process. I think it will begin with light stretching, and then we'll eventually build muscle strengthening into the routine.

I'd like to compete at the end of September, but for now, getting him healthy is my main concern. It's going to be a long process... probably six weeks minimum. I've heard of some dogs needing six months for this. I'm afraid that this has been going on for a long time. The orthopedic surgeons kept saying it was Pano, but Bacci's reaction to the pain today during his vet visit has me totally convinced that it's a muscle issue. I AM, however, thanking my lucky starts that it's NOT hip dysplasia or something more serious. The physical therapist said if I follow her routine, we should be good to go and ready to trial in a couple months.... fingers crossed.

Not sure how we'll get through this... but we will. The time off will be the hardest for me. I love training, visiting my friends while training, and watching Bacci excel. However, I miss not being able to see him jump. I hate having to be on pins and needles all the time, wondering when he will limp again. I can't wait to let him race freely across the field and not be all worried about whether he's doing some permanent damage to his tendons, ligaments, etc.

I keep reminding myself he's young, has his entire future ahead of him. He's not even two years old yet. The time we put into his recovery now will totally pay off in the long run.

Patience.... I must have patience....... In time, this too shall pass, and we will be back on the trial field before you know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment